Google+ RSS TwitterTwitter The Marshwah ProjectYouTube

Select a stream: Life | Writing | Travel | Digital | Business

08 January, 2012

Writing a Wave

I make no secret of the fact I like attention, and online I'm even worse. Between my time on Inthemix, to my slightly crazy videos on YouTube, and my engagement with the likes of Twitter and Google Plus, it's safe to say that I'm a fan of jumping up and down online.

But what about the blog?
In a bid to resume my love for sharing, I switched from my blogging birthplace at OpenDiary and relocated here. I started off in earnest, with a bold declaration about what I set out to achieve. Boldly declaring:
Lastly, I want the attention. I crave the attention. I thrive on my ability to capture someone's attention. It's why I write... I want your eyeballs, and this blog intends to suck them out of your sockets. 
What went wrong?
I don't think I got there. I treated this space like a stream-of-consciousness recorder. While I started blogging very early on, I didn't really adapt. The way I wrote didn't change. I failed to capitalise.

So what?
You're bold aren't you titular writing device? Well I don't have a problem with simply recording what's going on as such. I quite enjoy using using this medium as a record that I can check back on, reflect, and utilise. But there's a problem with this, you see I keep mentioning something called the book.
54 mentions from 40-odd entries - obsessed much?

A new focus
The more sharp-eyed among you might have noticed some changes to the blog recently. Besides some cosmetic changes, there's an assurance that my book will be published in April, 2012.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now there's a bit of pressure. An imposed deadline. And failing a publishing deal I need to make this happen. I'm not a complete failure, so I've been reading up on what I need to do to get there. And boy it's a lot of work. But it's also exciting.

A year for improvement
2011 was satisfying, the best year I've had in ten. I could just sit back and let it be. 

But why not strive to make 2012 better?

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately. Ones that have stood out include ProBlogger, 1000 Awesome Things,   Jeff Goins Writer, and Nerd Fitness. While they all cover different interests, what was consistent among them is a tale of self-improvement. They're successful because they didn't settle for being good. They're all properties that continually self-improve.

It's time for me to do the same.

Change is coming
Picture this, but in the written form. Yeah!

This year I'm stepping things up again. In the coming days I'll be writing about what this new focus will be on, and this blog will record it all. I hope you can come along for the ride.

Ever undertaken self-improvement yourself? What inspired you? Let us know!




1 comment:

  1. Can't wait mate. I remember you mentioned the idea back in early 2009 and right there i said do it!

    Looking forward to this read, that is one thing i am certain of.

    - Seamus

    ReplyDelete